- Non-essential travel is no longer prohibited in Canada, and foreign nationals are now permitted to enter the country for non-essential travel.
- Regardless of citizenship or immunization status, all passengers aged five and up must present proof of a Covid-19 negative molecular test to enter the country.
They can also confirm a previous positive test result that was taken between 14 and 180 days ago. Rapid antigen tests, unlike in many other nations, will not be allowed entry into Canada. However, Canadian citizens (including dual nationals), those enrolled under the Indian Act, permanent residents of Canada, and protected persons (refugee status) are allowed to travel to Canada.
Foreign nationals who are fully vaccinated are also allowed to enter the country. Foreign nationals who do not meet the criteria for being completely vaccinated will enter only in limited circumstances.
The following are samples of acceptable molecular tests:
- PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
- Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification
- Nucleic acid test or Nucleic acid amplification test
On the government’s website, you may find a list of other permissible types of tests that may be accepted. “If you’re going to Canada, you must take a molecular test within 72 hours of the recorded departure time of your flight to Canada,” the government says on its website.
If you have a linking flight, the test must be completed within 72 hours of your last direct flight to Canada’s scheduled departure time, and you may need to schedule it in your transit city. You will have to a new pre-entry molecular test in the United States if your test is older than 72 hours when you re-enter Canada.
The government advises that you double-check that you meet the entrance requirements for your destination country before leaving Canada.
You must produce an acceptable negative molecular test result (paper or electronic documentation) or proof of a last positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days when you arrive at the border to offer a guarantee of your development.