Nova Scotia Journal

Toxins found in shellfish sold at Lunenburg fish store

Nova Scotia

Key takeaways: 

  • Mussels, and clams sold Thursday at Corkums Island Mussel Farm may be dangerous.
  • The Department of Health and Wellness states anyone who purchased mussels or clams at the Corkums Island Mussel Farm on Thursday should dump them. 

On Thursday, officials forewarn Nova Scotians about possible toxins in mussels and clams sold at a fish store in Lunenburg.

In a press release Saturday, the Department of Health and Wellness stated the Canadian Food Inspection Agency found toxins in blue mussels reaped Monday that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning.

“Mussels and clams gathered were sold to two buyers on June 2 at the Corkums Island Mussel Farm and Fish Shop,” the release stated.

Anyone who consumed clams or mussels sold at the store on Thursday, the department says, should pursue medical attention if they’re undergoing any of the following signs:

  • Tingling.
  • Numbness spreads from the lips and mouth to the face, neck, and extremities.
  • Dizziness.
  • Arm and leg weakness or paralysis.
  • Headaches and sickness.
  • Respiratory loss.

In extreme cases, consumption can cause death.

Read more: Nova Scotia Power responds to analysts of confidentiality claims in rate hike case

On Thursday, officials forewarn Nova Scotians about possible toxins in mussels and clams sold at a fish store in Lunenburg

Symptoms begin quickly, between 30 minutes and three hours.

“Cooking or freezing will not release the toxin,” the disclaimer said.

The department says there have been no reported infections.

A representative for the Department of Health and Wellness said the toxin was found during a routine check, and no other hazardous areas have been identified.

It said the presence of the toxins found results from illnesses in the marine environment, not from problems with harvesting or processing.

Source – cbc.ca

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.